Monday, September 28, 2026

A Little Mixed Media Halloween Creepiness

Hey there, friends!  It's Walter on the blog with you today.  The theme for our team this week is anything goes and I decided to have a little mixed media fun.  We're just a month away from Halloween and I thought it would fun to create a Halloween card that is both creepy and dramatic.  I think I achieved it - let me know what you think!

I began by die cutting all of my pieces from the Aall & Create Film Drips Die Set: the photo frame, the deckled insert and three of the splatters.  I decided that I would use the splatters as embellishments in this design instead of gems.  Once cut, I took the deckled insert and started to apply color to it.  I wanted a sense of heaviness to come through on it and used a blending of Black Soot and Hickory Smoke Distress Oxide Inks to achieve it.  I used the Black Soot around the edges and Hickory Smoke in the center.  I then put the Aall & Create Vector Spin Stencil over it and added it to the design with Lost Shadow to provide a little lightness.





This is the exact mix of background colors that I wanted!  I blended some Vintage Photo Distress Ink around the edges to add some grunge, and then lightly spritzed the panel with water to create additional texture from water spots.  Once dry, I sprinkled just a little Lavinia Dinkles Paynes Grey around the panel and then spritzed again with water.  The result is this cool explosion of this darker color that looks like splatters.  I love it!

I wanted a darker gray/green color for the splatter ephemera pieces.  I decided to sprinkle and spritz them with the Dinkles as well to get the gray aspect.  Once dry, I colored on top with an Olive Green Alcohol Marker to get a spooky green shade!


It was now time to add some stamping to the design to add the creepy factor.  I used the small text and eye stamp from the Aall & Create Time Heals All set and stamped the text in several places using Lost Shadow Distress Oxide Ink.  I stamped the eye with Hickory Smoke Distress Oxide Ink.  I then stamped Paper Artsy EM37, the hand from Seth Apter, in white pigment ink on each side of the panel and then the word Creepy in black ink on one of the hands.


I assembled it all together with glue and the card was finished.  It's such a fun and different kind of style for a Halloween card than you'd normally find.  Nothing cute about this one - it's all about the creepiness!  Thanks for spending this time on the blog with me today.  I'll see you again next Monday.  Until then . . . be well!

Topflight Products Used










No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10