Monday, September 11, 2023

Art journal page. Watcher at dusk

Hi everyone, MEL PILLING here today, to show you a textured and layered art journal page starring the wonderful Crafty Individuals Owl and Moon stamp, which I am quite obsessed with.  This whole page was built just to highlight this fabulous owl set.

.


I used a paint brush and gel medium to adhere different types of tissue and grey scale  papers all over the page.  I let this dry, then I scraped moulding paste over a large stencil to create a large dimensional pattern on both top left and lower right corners, being sure to leave space for the star of the show; the owl.  This was allowed to dry completely.   I then stamped my owl in Versafine Claire Nocturne, and gently shaded him with watercolour markers in grey. I extended his perch to the bottom of the page with a black pen. So far, everything on the page is monochrome.

Now for the colour.  I dabbed strongly pigmented watercolours along the left and right edges of the paper about half an inch in from the edges. Using many colours. Then I spritzed the edges with water. For this part, I kept the page flat so I could control the flow. The pigment moves along the stencilled grooves and into the piece, blending here and there in places.  I made sure I kept the owl black and white for impact.  I stamped with a few mixed media stamps using Versafine Clair Morning Mist , then added different washy tapes here and there, some ribbon and an appropriate sentiment.  I tried to add just enough colour to create a framework around my monochrome owl. This stamp is so beautiful, it needs nothing. 

STAMPS USED









I never feel more creatively free than when I’m making an art journal page this way. There are no rules.  You just do what feels right.  It is so mindful.  I do hope you give this watercolour technique a try you can do it with Watercolour paints , DinklesBrusho’s  or any water colour system.  You could even do this technique with alcohol ink, but for this medium, you have to spray it with rubbing alcohol not water. On the whole, a very satisfying technique.






To enter the Darkroom Door challenge, just create a project using at least one Darkroom Door product. Post it to the Topflight Stamps Design Gallery on Facebook and/or post it on your Instagram feed and use the hashtag #TFSDDC. I'm looking so forward to seeing all the amazing things that will be created. I encourage you all to be on the lookout and leave positive comments on these projects. Let's all spread some kindness in memory of Rachel.
The prize for this challenge is a huge package of Darkroom Door stamps with a retail value of over $200!!! To be eligible to win, post your project any day in September and be sure to use the hashtag #TFSDDC. A winner will be chosen at random on October 1 and announced shortly thereafter. The more projects you post the better your chances of winning! Good luck! 

Thanks for joining me today on the Topflight Stamps blog. Hope you drop by again.








No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10