Thursday, June 14, 2018

Zentangle and Copic Coloring a Butterfly

The Leane Creatief  "Doodle Butterfly 2" stamp is deceptively simple and yet so beautiful! And the open spaces in the sections of the butterfly are perfect for zentangle art as well as traditional Copic or color pencil coloring.



This is the first time I've tried zentangling (is that a verb?), and I am in love! It truly is very zen to sit and doodle and try different designs and patterns. Using Faber Castell Pitt Pens in XS, S and B point sizes, I had a blast making each butterfly I stamped onto a card front unique. 


Then to add some color, I used a Copic B00 to color the spaces between the butterflies and a couple of color pencils to add some depth of color in the nooks and crannies of the butterfly wings.


I separately Copic colored a butterfly with a few other blue markers, adding some dot details with a Signo Uniball White Gel Pen. Fussy cutting out this butterfly and adding some foam dots behind the wings, I popped this butterfly onto the card base that I first layered with a smaller sheet of vellum for some visual softness. I secured the vellum to the card base with glue just under the butterfly and under strategically placed sequins.


As this is a Fathers Day card for my dad, for the sentiment I heat embossed "Thank You" in Korean from the Altenew Oriental Orchid Stamp Set. I popped this up on foam dots for some dimension and took this opportunity to tack down the vellum in hidden spots again.


Although might not think of a butterfly stamp for a masculine card, I think the black and white graphic nature of the zentangling and limiting the actual coloring to blues, made this beautiful but totally appropriate for a Fathers Day card. If you'd like more details about the products I used or to watch the start-to-finish video of crafting this card, please check out my blog post HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10