Monday, October 16, 2023

Tomorrow Needs You - An Art journal page

Hi there Mel Pilling here today with a mixed media art journal page.  Today, I am trying to highlight the majestic wolf  and how important it is to protect their habitat.




I began by using Matt gel to paste pages from a wolf book I have, and some pieces of tissue paper that I had stamped images on to create a monochrome textured background. Once dry I used Lavinia Stencil to create a 3-D pattern on top with modelling paste and a palette knife.  Once that was completely dry,  I dabbed high pigment watercolour paints on the edges, then spritzed them gently with water to allow the colours to flow into the stencil grooves in a controlled way.  ( I used watercolour paints that I already had, but you could use Studio Light Watercolour Set or    Dinkles or Brushos ).  You don’t want to create muddy colours. You can do this step as many times as you like to achieve the colours you want. Just allow it to dry between steps. I then splattered the whole piece with  Elements Ink in Dark Denim  using a Fan Brush..





I stamped my wolves with
Versafine Clair Ink  in Morning Mist .  I coloured 
the wolves with pencil crayons.  I then fussy cut them out and adhered them to the piece. I added some stamping here and there in morning must grey ink for a softer effect. Then some liquid pearls for added dimension.



HOBBY ART STAMPS USED







AALL&CREATE STAMPS USED










The idea started with the phrase “Tomorrow Needs You.”   It made me think of wolves.  Then I just picked my wolf stamps and kept plugging away until I reached the place I wanted to be. If you have never tried art journaling, I urge you to do so.  You can do a larger piece than when card making. It has a freedom and flow to it that is very zen. You begin with a phrase that turns into a kind of direction, then blends with your art to build a story. It allows you to use your art to express your thoughts and feelings visually. To express your personal perspective on issues that mean something to you in a gentle but powerful way. 

Thanks for joining me today on the Topflight Stamps blog. Happy crafting.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10