Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Silhouette Stamping with Paper Artsy


 Hi friends, Colleen here today sharing a simple card using the silhouette technique! Today I'll be using Paper Artsy stamps and Lavinia ink! 

Silhouette stamping is a technique where you stamp the image using black ink over a colorful background. There are so many creative ways to achieve this look, but for today's card I'm keeping it simple! I'll share a few creative alternatives at the end of this post! 

The first step was to choose a stamp that would work for this technique. Bold, detailed stamps and solid images are best for silhouette stamping. I chose PaperArtsy Scrapcosy 04 Rubber Cling Mounted stamp. This is a lovely, detailed image of floral bouquets, butterlies, and a stunning sentiment! To see a visual of the entire stamp set, scroll to the Supply List at the end. 

Once I chose my stamp, I grabbed a background card panel and inked it up in some Victorian style colors that I thought would match the stamp set nicely. The background colors I chose were light, which will allow the silhouette stamp to pop. If the background is too dark, this technique won't work. If you don't own light ink colors, just use a very light touch to ink blend with the colors you do have. Try to stay with blues, pinks or greens for the best effect because the colors contrast with black and help the silhouette image stand out. 

Once my card panel was inked up, I placed the floral bouquets where I wanted them and then stamped them using Lavinia Graphite ink. This ink color is perfect for silhouette stamping because it's a softer shade of black and it was just lovely against those colors. But black ink will work equally as well! I started by stamping in the upper part of the card panel, then I moved to the sentiment in the center, and then rimmed the lower section with more flowers. Then I added a few butterflies for interest! 


Once my card panel was completed, I used my deckled paper trimmer to trim down the card panel and also a black card panel to tuck behind it. The black frame compliments the black stamping! I finished by placing both layers onto a white 5.5x4.25 card base! I think the white card base makes all that black pop even more! 

This was really super easy to create! A few alternatives to jazz up your game would be to create an oval or rectangle mask using masking paper or tape and then ink blend in the middle of the mask. Then, before removing your mask, stamp your silhouette image. When you remove the mask, you'll have this colorful framed image ready to go! If you want to get really funky, you can create a deckled edge similar to mine by tearing the edge of the tape before you adhere it down onto your card panel. When you remove the mask, you'll have this funky deckled, uneven edging that adds interest and detail!

Thanks for stopping by today! 


SUPPLIES USED:



Paper Artsy Scrapcosy 04 Red Rubber stamp


Lavinia Graphite dye ink


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10