Monday, January 27, 2020

AALL & Create Mixed Media Deer Stamp Tag


Hello lovelies!  It's Autumn Clark from SewPaperPaint with you today to share a mixed media tag that is very dear to my heart in light of the devastating fires that have swept across Australia and destroyed so many animals and habitats of late.  I have had this amazing deer stamp by AALL & Create for too long, first thinking I would use it for Christmas.  Fresh eyes led me in a completely different direction.


I wanted a very earthy background but with a modern pop of geometric pattern.  I chose this exquisite, and one of my most favorite stencils, PaperArtsy PS108 by Scrapcosy.  Sadly, I had four bottles of various texture pastes dry up in my year long hiatus.  I am thankful I had this unopened Paper Texture Paste by Finnabair.  It worked beautifully.  I dried the paste a bit then applied PaperArtsy Infusions in In the Navy and The Sage.  I worked one color at a time, drying completely between colors.  


I used Prismacolor colored pencils to color the stamped deer on kraft card.  The trick to coloring on kraft is to add plenty of white.


I layered some sentimental upcycling bits, such as a snippet of dictionary page.  I love adding washi tape to my background work for extra pattern.  I always sand it with a file towards the edges of the tape so it won't peel, but will adhere better and be less shiny.  I was thrilled to add my contribution to our amazing design team's inspiration for the Carabelle Studio My Stamp postage stamp theme that they've shared all month long by stamping the corners of my tag.  I used a scrap of Tim Holtz Blackout paper to mount one of his sticker sentiments.  I sanded the edges to coordinate with the kraft theme.  A few staples adhere my sisal fibers.  And finally an upcycled shopping bag handle came in handy for the tag topper.


I truly hope this tag has been an inspiration and you will make every effort to upcycle in your own artwork, trying always to see things as they could be.  Hugs, Autumn

Blog:  SewPaperPaint
Facebook: Autumn Clark
Instagram: @sewpaperpaint
Pinterest: Autumn S Clark

I am thrilled to be joining TopFlight Stamps at the demonstration table for the Stamp Scrap Art Tour in Columbia, SC on February 15-16.  I hope to see you there!

Check our these fun supplies:





12 comments:

  1. Oh I love this piece. I don’t think I would have been drawn to this stamp until I saw what you did with it- especially the reason behind it. I love the way you coloured the image with your prismas too. A beautiful mixed media piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to see a stamp through someone else's eyes and get inspired afresh. I really loved coloring on kraft and hope to incorporate it more into my mixed media. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Really pretty tag. I love how your deer looks. It looks a lot happier than the deer that jumped out in front of me the other day. I had borrowed my pastor's car because my car's transmission died last week when I got it stuck in snow. As I was driving to pick my son up from work, the deer hit the car. I then had to call my pastor and wake him up to tell him that I messed up his car. I think on tags is the best way to enjoy wildlife for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That stinks! So sad for the trauma and the poor deer. I constantly pray for protection for OTHERS (animals and people) when I drive. Here's to better days my friend... <3

      Delete
  3. love your mixed media tag and wonderfully coloured deer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tag Autumn! Thank you for making the little Infusions tutorial video, that stuff is so fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, for those who want to see the process: https://youtu.be/cnocmKudnog

      Delete
  5. I love this tag so much, Autumn, so much that I will probably end up buying that deer stamp. Thank you for the inspiration, my "deer" :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10