Saturday, May 15, 2021

Stencil Tutorial with Tracy Scott Insects Cards

Hey everyone!  It's Autumn Clark from SewPaperPaint with you today and I've been pulling out items from my UFO (unfinished objects) pile and trying to slim down my scraps.  A while back I had tried to come up with a version of a card made with Nuvo pearl paste using things I had on hand.  I think the result is pretty cool, so I finally finished coloring some focal images and made these sweet cards.

To make the backgrounds I used a sponge makeup applicator to add white gesso through the stencils, making sure to start at the bottom and work up lighter.  I did this on navy textured cardstock.  I used PaperArtsy stencils PS092 and PS108.  When they were dry, I tapped them with Prism Ink Pads to add color on top, with an uneven application so some of the white showed through.  I love these pads for DTP (direct to paper) techniques!  Finally, I spritzed the panels with Glimmer Mist to add some shine.

At this point, I didn't finish the panels, can you believe it?  Sometimes that's just the way it goes.  So how to finish them after all this time?  Well, since there were three panels, I thought Tracy Scott's insect stamps TS027 would work great for a fun springtime trio.  I stamped them in permanent cobalt blue ink and colored with Prism Brush Makers, blending with a water brush.  I hope you've enjoyed this alternative process and will try the stencil technique.  Happy weekend!  

Visit Topflight Stamps today!





2 comments:

  1. It's definitely a good feeling to get onto some of those UFOs. Well done for not giving up on them and drawing new inspiration. I love the technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I always appreciate your encouragement. :)

      Delete

01 09 10