Monday, April 3, 2023

Time to Flee!!! An art journal tutorial

Hello, everybody.  MEL PILLING  here with an art journal today starring the adorable Lavinia beavers.



Most of this art journal page was done with a paintbrush, using  Elements Ink and  PRISM Ink  that I stamped onto my craft surface.  For the hills and mountains I used elements ink in Lime Punch and  Pine , and Prism inks in  Spring Meadow  ,  Evergreen , and Slate Grey .

The sky was done with pinched stencil brushes using Prism ink in  Canary Yellow  and Elements ink in Blue Lagoon

I stamped the male beaver in the left corner, masking off his lower half,  then drew the floaty bed around him freehand.   Then I stamped and fussy cut out the tail to glue on later.  I then masked off the boat and the edges of the land with washy, tape.  Washy tape will not remove your delicate watercolours from the paper.  I painted the water with Elements Ink in.  Blue Lagoon  , Blue Atoll , Mermaid  and  Dark Denim  with a paintbrush, then highlighted with a white gel pen. 

All the beavers were done with the repeat stamp process on a stamping platform in  Versafine Claire inks  in  Summertime , Pinecone and Nocturne .  Then texture was added with pencil crayons in orange, black and brown, and a white gel pen.  For the grasses which. I added on the hilltops,  I used Versafine Clair ink in  Morning Mist   and Rain Forest .  I stamped these with  no block as I just wanted small pieces of the stamps.  I decided on which words to use  after I saw the finished piece.


LAVINIA STAMPS USED,



















These beavers are my favourite funny scene builders as I watch the beavers play in a river at home quite regularly. They bring me much joy. 

Thanks for dropping in today.   Please come again. :) 


























Howard

2 comments:

  1. Very artistic, Mel! Using those different blues really does evoke the shallow and deep areas - that extra glint with the white gel pen reflects the light and attracts the viewer's attention. Your caption really caught my eye, too, as my father name was Howard! Cute caption!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10