Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Steampunk Alchemist Canvas

Greetings. It's Tuesday, so it's Kathi here to share a project with you. Since I love Steampunk, when I saw AALL and Create's new Steampunk Alchemist Clear Stamp Set #387 by Olga Heldwein, I knew I had to have it and I knew that one of the first projects I'd create with it would be a mixed media canvas.

Here it is!

I started the project by spreading sand texture paste over an 8x10 canvas so the canvas texture would be disappear. 

While the paste was drying, I stamped the Steampunk Alchemist, the bottles and can, and the three lights from the Steampunk Alchemist Clear Stamp Set #387 and fussy-cut them.

By the time I was done fussy-cutting, the paste was dry, but I blasted it with my heat gun to make sure it was dry so I could paint the background.

Stone Fresco Chalk Paint was mixed with grey and black Fresco paints and painted onto the canvas. The same paints were mixed into the remaining Sand Paste in the jar so I could spread it over the Distressed Brick 6x6 Stencil by Paper Rose. Alas, I diluted it a little too much, so I just smooshed the sand paste onto the canvas to create a textured background.

I blasted the piece with my heat gun to dry it, which caused some bubbling, which just added to the texture. I had left the lid off of the sand paste and was delighted to see that it had thickened enough to apply over the Distressed Brick 6x6 Stencil. This time it worked-ish -- or at least enough to create a subtle brick pattern on the canvas.

I allowed the stenciled bricks to air dry while I used my Copic markers to color all of the elements that I had fussy-cut earlier. When I was done coloring them, they were all edged with a dark marker so that there would be no unslightly white edges.

The table and the diagram from the Steampunk Alchemist Clear Stamp Set #387 were stamped with Onyx Black VersaFine Ink because they were so very detailed and I wasn't planning to color them. 

Brown paper was die-cut to create the shelf for the pharmaceuticals and frames for the table and diagram. Silver metallic cardstock from the Neenah Creative Collection was die-cut with two different chain dies.

At this point the canvas was mostly dry, so I blasted it with my heat gun, edged the canvas with black Fresco Chalk paint, and dry-brushed the black paint over the canvas to bring out some of the details of the brick and such.

Wood patterned paper was adhered to chipboard, which was layered onto the base of the canvas. Washi tape was adhered to the bottom of the canvas and the "Steampunk" and pointing hand from the Steampunk Mixed Media Transfers were applied.

All the elements of the scene were adhered using tape runner, double-sided tape, and foam adhesives.

If you'd like to learn more about my canvas, please pop over to my blog, Kat's Tales of Stamping.

Topflight Stamps Products Used:

Silver Metallic Cardstock from the Neenah Creative Collection

Thanks for visiting today! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10