Saturday, April 10, 2021

Mermaid Play and Ocean Views!

 Happy Saturday, Lisa Hoel here! If you participated in the recent 4th Birthday Blog Hop Celebration with Topflight Stamps, then you probably got a peek at the mermaid birthday card I'm going to share with you today. My sister-in-law loves mermaids so I always have fun making her a themed card each year. I also have a short tutorial at the end for the background I made using PaperArtsy Fresco Paints. It's easy and looks really cool!

Here's the card:

Lisa Hoel for Topflight Stamps - mermaid birthday card using Pink Ink Designs and Lavinia stamps

I made it an accordion type folded card so you could extend the whole scene when you opened it up.

Lisa Hoel for Topflight Stamps - mermaid birthday card using Pink Ink Designs and Lavinia stamps

The stamps used are from Pink Ink Designs and Lavinia and they play very well together! (See supply list for exact stamps.) I used twinkling metallic watercolor paints to color the mermaids. They are very glimmery!

The background is created using PaperArtsy Fresco Paints. These chalk acrylic paints dry with a matte surface and are perfect for stamping and inking on top of.

Step 1 – Using a brayer and three different colors of paint, I covered the cardstock in a patchy manner so there would be color variation.


Step 2 – I used the Lavinia Coral stencil to monoprint on top of the background. First I squeezed some paint onto my craft sheet and then brayered it out into a thin layer. I then misted it with water so it would be "soppier" and give me the watery effect I wanted. I lightly applied this paint to the back of the stencil with the brayer and then flipped it over onto the background. I pressed it down with a paper towel to transfer the paint and soak up any extra that squished out.


I did that a few times on the background and also on the card envelope.


Once I was done, I went ahead with my stamping and painting. I did use a stamping platform for more control.

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out all the wonderful products from around the world you can find all in one place, Topflight Stamps.


Topflight Stamps Products:

Pink Ink Designs - Shell Nymph 

Pink Ink Designs - Sea Nymphs 

Lavinia Stamps - Shoal of Fish

Lavinia Stamps - Mini fish

Lavinia Stamps - Fish Set

Lavinia Stamps - Sea Creatures 

Darkroom Door - Happy Birthday Sentiment


Lavinia Stencil - Coral

PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Chalk Paint -
Mermaid, Paua Shell, Bora Bora, Dusty Teal


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10