Sunday, January 30, 2022

AALL & Create Owl & Heart Valentine Cards

 

Hi friends!  It's Autumn Clark from SewPaperPaint with you today to share some fun mixed media Valentine inspiration featuring gorgeous AALL & Create stamps from Topflight Stamps.  For this set of cards, I focused on using the fun Owl stamp set by Tracy Evans.  I LOVE owls and knew that these stamps would make fun Valentine cards.  

For my first card, I made an inky background and then stamped the Reverse Hearts repeatedly along the edges, along with an older stamp set by Tracy (#304: Heartfelt).  I stamped the Scripted hearts and added some watercolor detail for contrast.  Then I stamped the owl onto the panel and again onto another panel, which I fussy cut and mounted above the first stamping.  This way the details along the edge of the owl weren't lost and I was able to add dimension and a pop of color.  I stamped the word owl and then finished the sentiment by punching out some old school label tape.  I used a credit card dipped in my black ink pad to make the cross hatched lines along the edges.  (Honestly, I did this because I smeared the black ink I used to edge the panel and needed to camouflage it somehow.  We all make mistakes with stamping sometimes and it's best to find a way to work past it, rather than get frustrated and throwing our work in the bin!  ;0 )  In the end it looks intentional and I like how it frames the piece. 


Next, I made a pink inky panel and stamped the Reverse hearts again with more of the Heartfelt background stamp.  This time I stamped two owls and layered them.  I added some white Posca marker details to one to make it more feminine.  I added some stickers by Tim Holtz and then stamped that gorgeous leafy border from the Owl set, finishing with more white paint pen details. 


For my last card I used my Distress Mica Spray through the Hung Up On Hearts stencil.  The red was a little much for me!  The spray feathered out too much and I didn't like how dark it was, so I set it aside and then later had the idea to do the "Stencil Bumping" technique by PaperArtsy, but I used embossing ink and embossed with white powder instead of using paints.  I really liked how this turned out!  I slightly offset the stencil over the inky pattern and smooshed my Versamark pad through the stencil.  I brushed away the embossing powder where there were any harsh lines and the result was a beautiful white center with some of the red showing along the edge. 


I remembered one of Tracy's very old lives from her FB group where she used the packaging from embellishments to make a little shaker.  I had saved some for ages since seeing her do that.  And I thought it would work great with this background since it was large and wouldn't cover up any of that cool stencil work.  I wanted to repeat the layered stamping, so I used Staz-On ink and put an acrylic block inside the packaging to make it into a sturdy, stampable surface.  I was able to stamp the owl and layer a separate fussy cut and I added another label tape sentiment.  I used Beacon 3-1 glue to adhere the shaker, filled with heart sequins, to the card panel.  I'll share a video on Instagram so you can see it in action.  :)  I hope these cards have made you smile today!  xx, Autumn

Shop AALL & Create at Topflight Stamps!




 
(#304 is discontinued)

1 comment:

01 09 10